in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Trapper Creek lies between mile 107 and 133 of the George Parks Highway, in the Mat-Su Borough. It lies about 17 miles north of the Talkeetna Spur Road and west of the junction of the Chulitna, Susitna, and Talkeetna Rivers.
- January tAemperatures range from -30 to 33 °F; July can range from 42 to 83 °F. Annual rainfall ranges from 16 to 27 inches, with 48 to 150 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area is Dena'ina Athabascan Indian territory. Once gold was discovered on Cache Creek in 1906, prospectors traveled up the Susitna River to Susitna Station and overland past Trapper Creek to Cache Creek. In 1920 the Alaska Road Commission started construction of a wagon road to Cache Creek from Talkeetna. Federal homesteading began here in 1948. In 1959 the "Fifty-Niners," a group of settlers from Detroit, Michigan, moved to Talkeetna and then on to Trapper Creek to find homesteads. They lived in trailers and tents before building log cabins. The Parks Highway opened as far as Trapper Creek in 1967 and was completed in 1971.
- Through the 1960s, Trapper Creek developed from homesteading and had subdivisions added on in the 1990s. Recreation, hunting, snowmachining, and dog mushing are popular activities. Middle and high school students attend Susitna Valley in Susitna North, at milepost 98.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Trapper Creek is accessible from the George Parks Highway. A variety of transportation means are available in Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage. ERA Aviation operates a private heliport in Trapper Creek. Several private airstrips are in the vicinity.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District