in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (kwih gill' in gawk); abbr. Kwig
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Kwigillingok is on the western shore of Kuskokwim Bay near the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It lies 77 miles southwest of Bethel and 388 miles west of Anchorage. The village of Kongiganak is nearby.
- Kwigillingok is located in a marine climate. Annual precipitation averages 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall annually. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F, and winter temperatures average 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area has long been occupied by the Yup'ik Eskimos. The first record of the village was in 1927 on an Alaska map, when it was noted as "Quillingok." A Moravian church was established around 1920.
- Kwigillingok is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village, practicing a commercial fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Kwigillingok
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
- Kwigillingok has no roads. In summer, residents use skiffs and other boats for travel to Bethel and other nearby villages. Snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles provide transportation during winter. Winter trails are marked to Kipnuk (38 miles) and Kongiganak (11.1 miles). There are no docking facilities in the village, but there is a state-owned, public-use seaplane base (the Kwigillingok Seaplane Base) located in the Kwigillingok River. No services of any type are provided at the base, but there is a beaching area on the river bank adjacent to the Village. There is a state-owned public-use airport (Kwigillingok Airport) with a gravel airstrip. Improvements are currently underway for this airport to create a gravel runway, taxiway, apron, airport lighting system, and two single bay snow removal equipment buildings.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection