in the Fairbanks North Star Borough - FNSB
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (eye' ull sun)
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Eielson Air Force Base is 26 miles south of Fairbanks, off of the Richardson Highway, near the City of North Pole. It lies east of the Tanana River.
- Interior Alaska experiences seasonal temperature extremes. Average January temperatures range from -19 to -2 °F; average July temperatures range from 49 to 71 °F. Annual precipitation averages 11.5 inches, with 67.8 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- This site was developed as a military base.
- Most Air Force members and their families actually live on the base. Some have chosen to live in nearby North Pole. The base is self-contained and is essentially non-Native.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The base has an airstrip for military craft. Nearby Fairbanks offers jet service and railroad connections. The Richardson Highway connects the base to the statewide road system.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District