2nd Class City
in the Northwest Arctic Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Cape Nome
Geography and Climate
- Buckland is located on the west bank of the Buckland River, about 75 miles southeast of Kotzebue.
- Buckland is located in the transitional climate zone, which is characterized by long, cold winters and cool summers. Temperatures range from -60 to the 85 °F. Annual precipitation averages 9 inches, and annual snowfall averages 40 inches. Crosswinds can restrict flying during the winter.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The residents have moved from one site to another along the river at least five times in recent memory, to places known as Elephant Point, Old Buckland, and New Site. The presence of many fossil finds at Elephant Point indicate prehistoric occupation of the area. The Inupiaq Eskimos depend on reindeer, beluga whale, and seal for survival. The city government was incorporated in 1966.
- Buckland is an Inupiat Eskimo village, and subsistence activities are an important focus of the economy.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Buckland
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Water, Sewer, Flush Haul, Washeteria, Electric, Refuse Collection, Landfill, Health Clinic, Police (VPO), Volunteer Fir, Public Safety Office, Dock, Roads, Ice Roads, Recreation, Cable TV, Gravel Sales, Sewar Lagoon
- Buckland's major means of transportation are plane, small boat, barge, and snowmachine; there are no roads outside of the village. Buckland has a state-owned 3,200' long by 75' wide gravel airstrip, which serves a number of scheduled and chartered flights. Crowley Marine barges in fuel, and various lighterage companies deliver cargo and supplies each summer.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District