in the Wade Hampton Census Area
- Current Population
- Pronunciation/Other Names
Geography and Climate
- Andreafsky is adjacent to and within the city boundaries of St. Mary's. It is on the north bank of the Andreafsky River, 3.5 miles northeast of Pitka's Point in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
- Its climate is both maritime and continental. Temperatures can range from -44 to 83 °F. Precipitation averages 16 inches and snowfall averages 60 inches. The Andreafsky River is ice-free from May to October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- By 1899, the village had become a supply depot and winter quarters for the Northern Commercial Company's riverboat fleet. The village was named for the Andrea family who settled here and was originally called "Clear River." The family built a Russian Orthodox church. A Catholic mission was established nearby in 1949, and a number of Yup'ik families moved to the area in the 1950s. The area adjacent to the mission became the incorporated City of St. Mary's in 1967, although Andreafsky chose to remain indepedent. In 1980, residents of Andreafsky voted for annexation into the city.
- Andreafsky is primarily a Yup'ik Eskimo village with a commercial fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Yupiit of Andreafski
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- Local roads provide access to St. Mary's, Pitka's Point, Mountain Village, and the St. Mary's airport. River-going vessels have easy access during the ice-free summer months. Two major barge lines serve the village.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection