in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (kock hone' ack); alt. Kakhonak
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Kokhanok is located on the south shore of Iliamna Lake, 22 miles south of Iliamna and 88 miles northeast of King Salmon.
- Kokhanok lies in the transitional climatic zone. Average summer temperatures range from 40 to 64 °F; winter temperatures average 3 to 30 °F. The record high is 84 °F and the record low -47 °F. Precipitation averages 32 inches annually, with 89 inches of snowfall. Wind storms and ice fog are common during winter.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- This fishing village was first listed in the U.S. Census in 1890 by A.B. Schanz. The community was relocated to higher ground a few years ago when the rising level of Iliamna Lake threatened several community buildings.
- The village has a mixed Native population, primarily Alutiiq and Yup'ik. Subsistence activities are the focal point of the culture and lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Kokhanok Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Kokhanok is accessible by air and water. There is a state-owned gravel airstrip and a seaplane base. . As of July 2014, the barge was not able to travel to the village for several years and fuel and other goods had to be shipped in by plane. In the past, large amounts of freight are delivered in the summer by barge either up the Kvichak River from Naknek, or by Cook Inlet or Pile Bay portages. Small freight is delivered by air plane. Residents can generally travel to Iliamna and Anchorage through scheduled air service. Travel to Dillingham, King Salmon, and other communities typically require chartering. Local travel is done primarily by ATV, skiff, or snowmobile.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District