2nd Class City
in the Wade Hampton Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Kotlik is located on the east bank of the Kotlik Slough, 35 miles northeast of Emmonak in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 165 air miles northwest of Bethel and 460 miles from Anchorage.
- The climate of Kotlik is subarctic. Temperatures range between -50 and 87 °F. Annually, there is an average of 60 inches of snowfall and a total of 16 inches of precipitation. High winds and poor visibility are common during fall and winter. Norton Sound and the Yukon are ice-free from mid-June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The community grew during the mid-1960s when a BIA school was constructed at Kotlik, and residents of the nearby villages of Channiliut, Hamilton, Bill Moore's Slough, and Pastolaik relocated. Due to its location with easy access by large riverboats and barges, Kotlik became one of the larger ports and commercial centers of the lower Yukon River. Many residents are descendants of Russian traders that settled in the area surrounding Saint Michael after 1867. The city was incorporated in 1970.
- It is a Yup'ik Eskimo village practicing a fishing, trapping, and subsistence lifestyle. Residents of Hamilton, a nearby summer fish camp, also live in Kotlik.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Hamilton, Village of Bill Moore's Slough, Village of Kotlik
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Air transportation of passengers, cargo, and mail is provided via the state-owned 4,422' long by 100' wide gravel airstrip. There is no road access, although Kotlik is easily accessible by barge. Residents use the river for commercial and private travel.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District