2nd Class City
in the Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Mt. McKinley
Geography and Climate
- Shageluk is located on the east bank of the Innoko River, approximately 20 miles east of Anvik and 34 miles northeast of Holy Cross. The Innoko is a tributary of the Yukon River.
- Shageluk has a cold, continental climate. Summer temperatures average from 42 to 80 °F, and winters can range from -62 to 0 °F. Annual precipitation averages 67 inches, with average snowfall of 110 inches. The Innoko River is generally ice-free from June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Shageluk is an Ingalik Indian village first reported as "Tie'goschitno" in 1850 by Lt. Zagoskin of the Russian Navy. In 1861, a historian for the Russian American Company reported six villages on the Innoko. These were collectively called the "Chageluk settlements" during the 1880 Census. Shageluk became one of the permanent communities in the area. A post office was established in 1924. Residents of Shageluk moved in 1966 from a flood-prone location to a higher site two miles southeast. The BIA constructed 20 homes and a school at the new site. The city was incorporated in 1970.
- Shageluk is a Deg Hit'an Athabascan community that relies on subsistence activities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Shageluk Native Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Landfill, Volunteer Fire, Post Office, City Hall, Clinic, City Housing
- Access to Shageluk is by air or water. A state-owned 3,400' long by 75' wide gravel airstrip and a seaplane base are available. Locals use ATVs, snowmachines, and dog sleds. Every other year, it is a checkpoint for the Iditarod dogsled race.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District