in the Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nih kiss' kee); formerly Nikishka
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nikiski is located on the Kenai Peninsula, 9 miles north of the City of Kenai, off of the Sterling Highway. It is also known as Port Nikiski and Nikishka.
- Winter temperatures range from 14 to 27 °F; summer temperatures vary from 45 to 65 °F. Average annual precipitation is 24 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Traditionally in Kenaitze Indian territory, the area was homesteaded in the 1940s and grew with the discovery of oil on the Kenai Peninsula in 1957. By 1964, oil-related industries located here included Unocal, Phillips 66, Chevron, and Tesoro.
- Nikiski is located close to the City of Kenai, where many residents travel to purchase goods and services
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Sterling Highway provides access to Anchorage. Nearby Kenai offers an airport and docking facilities. The Port Nikiski docks service offshore drilling platforms. There are two private airstrips in the vicinity.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District