in the Aleutians East Borough
- Current Population
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (un' guh)
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- Unga lies on the southeast coast of Unga Island, in the Shumagin Islands of the Aleutian Chain.
- Unga lies in the maritime climate zone. Temperatures range from -9 to 76 °F. Annual snowfall averages 52 inches, with total annual precipitation of 33 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- It was an Aleut village first reported as "Delarov" in 1833, with a population of 116, and then as "Ougnagok" in 1836. The "Ounga" post office was established in 1888 and changed its name to Unga in 1894. The post office closed in 1958. The last family to leave Unga Village left in 1969.
- Unga is no longer occupied year-round. Most of the shareholders now live in Sand Point. There has been an interest in revitalizing the village, as evidenced by the erection of a new building in 2002.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Unga
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- Float planes or boats are the only means of transportation to Unga.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection