in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- a.k.a. Kuiggayagaq
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Oscarville is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, opposite Napaskiak. It lies 6 miles southwest of Bethel and 401 miles west of Anchorage.
- The weather is influenced by storms in the Bering Sea and also by the inland continent. Annual precipitation averages 16 inches, and annual snowfall averages 50 inches. Summer temperatures average 42 to 62 °F, and winter temperatures average -2 to 19 °F. The Kuskokwim River is typically ice-free from June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- In 1908, Oscar Samuelson and his wife, a Yup'ik from the Nushagak region, moved from Napaskiak across the river and opened a trading post. A few Native families settled nearby and the site came to be known as Oscarville. Samuelson managed the store for 45 years, until his death in 1953. By 1955, there were 13 homes and two warehouses in the village. The Samuelsons continued to operate the store until 1975 when it was sold; it was closed in the early 1980s. A school was built by the BIA in 1964.
- The year-round population of Oscarville is primarily Yup'ik Eskimos. Subsistence is an integral part of the lifestyle, and some commercial fishing occurs.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Oscarville Traditional Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Oscarville relies on Napaskiak for passenger, mail, and cargo services. Residents use skiffs to pick up mail in Napaskiak or to shop in Bethel. Barge services deliver goods once a year. The river is an important means of transportation in summer and as an ice road in the winter. During breakup and freezeup, the community can be periodically isolated.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District