in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Petersville is located on Petersville Road, at mile 114.9 of the George Parks Highway, west of Trapper Creek. Petersville Road is 17 miles north of the junction to Talkeetna Spur Road. Peters Creek and the Deshka River flow through the community.
- January temperatures range from -30 to 33 °F; July can vary from 42 to 83 °F. Annual rainfall ranges from 16 to 27 inches, with 48 to 150 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Dena'ina Athbascans have utilized the area historically for hunting. In 1905, gold was discovered on Cache Creek and upper Peters Creek. In 1917, a freighting trail was built by the Alaska Road Commission from Talkeetna. The crossing of the Susitna River was by ferry during summer and over ice in the winter. Petersville became home to a district post office as a result of the road construction. By 1921, there were 24 mining operations in the Yentna Mining District, most with large-scale hydraulic plants. World War II caused a shutdown of nearly all mining operations. Federal homesteading began here in 1948 and continued through the 1960s. In the late 1970s, many of the previously idle mining sites were brought back into production.
- Most residencies in Petersville are seasonal homes.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Petersville is located approximately 30 miles out the state-maintained Petersville Road, which leaves the George Parks Highway at Trapper Creek. A four-wheel drive or high-clearance vehicle is recommended for travel on this road, as the second half of the trip is primitive roadway. The closest non-commercial airstrip is located in Talkeetna, while a variety of transportation means are available in Wasilla and Palmer.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District