2nd Class City
in the Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (gray' leen)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Grayling is located in Interior Alaska on the west bank of the Yukon River, east of the Nulato Hills. It is 18 air miles north of Anvik.
- The climate of Grayling is continental, with long, cold winters and relatively warm summers. Temperature extremes range between -60 to 87 °F. Annual snowfall averages 110 inches, with 21 inches of total precipitation. The Yukon River is ice-free from June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- In 1900, the U.S. Revenue steamer Nunivak reported 75 inhabitants, a store, and a large woodyard to supply steamers. Between 1962 and 1966, 25 families moved from Holikachuk on the Innoko River to Grayling. Holikachuk was prone to annual spring flooding, and low water levels made the return trip from Yukon fish camps each year difficult. The city government was incorporated in 1969.
- The population of Grayling is comprised of Holikachuk and Ingalik Indians. Subsistence activities are important to villagers' livelihoods.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Organized Village of Grayling
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewar, Washeteria, Electric(AVEC), Landfill, Health Clinic, Post Office(Federal Contract), Volunteer Fire, Dock, Roads
- In summer, access to Grayling is by air, riverboat, or barge. The state owns and operates gravel runway. No roads connect Grayling with other communities. Skiffs are used for transportation up and down the river during summer. Every other year, Grayling is a checkpoint on the annual 1,049 mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Many supplies including groceries and other small items are bought in by airplane.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City