Unincorporated, located within Anchorage
in the Municipality of Anchorage
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- Population is counted as part of the Municipality of Anchorage.
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (choog' yak); also see Anchorage
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
Geography and Climate
- Eagle River is located within the Municipality of Anchorage, between Fort Richardson and the Chugach State Park. The area north of Fort Richardson to the municipal boundary includes Eagle River, Chugiak, Birchwood, Peters Creek, Thunderbird Falls, and Eklutna.
- The average temperatures in January range from 8 to 21 °F; in July, average temperatures range from 51 to 65 °F. Annual precipitation averages 15.9 inches with 69 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The name Eagle River was first reported in 1939 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The Eagle River/Chugiak area was settled by homesteaders and prospered on agricultural activities. The Eagle River Post Office was established in 1961. In spite of local opposition, Chugiak and Eagle River became annexed to the Municipality of Anchorage, when the City of Anchorage and the Greater Anchorage Area Borough were unified in 1975.
- The 2000 Census found a population of 22,000 in Eagle River and an additional 8,000 in the settlements further north -- Chugiak, Birchwood, Peters Creek, Thunderbird Falls, and Eklutna. Anchorage is a metropolitan city, primarily non-Native, with a history of cultural diversity. Many residents participate in nearby recreational and subsistence activities. Anchorage has over 162 parks, including 10 large reserves. Recreation facilities include downhill and cross-country skiing, ice hockey rinks, golf, swimming, and camping. The George Sullivan Sports Arena, Alaska Performing Arts Center, Egan Convention Center, and many other facilities provide entertainment opportunities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- Eagle River-Chugiak is now part of the Municipality of Anchorage with access to the same transprotation infrastrucure as Anchorage.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection