Non-Unified Home Rule Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate (Haines CDP population)
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Haines Borough is located on the shores of the Lynn Canal between the Chilkoot and Chilkat Rivers, 80 air miles northwest of Juneau. It is just south of the Canadian border at British Columbia and 600 air miles southeast of Anchorage and Fairbanks. By road, it is 775 miles from Anchorage.
- Haines experiences a maritime climate characterized by cool summers and mild winters. Summer temperatures range from 50 to 70 °F; winter temperatures range from 10 to 35 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The Haines area was called "Dei Shu" by the Tlingit, meaning "end of the trail." The Chilkat Tlingit controlled the trading routes between the coast and the Interior. The first non-Native to settle here was George Dickinson, an agent for the North West Trading Company, in 1880. In 1881, S. Young Hall, a Presbyterian minister, received permission from the Chilkat to build the Willard Mission and School. The mission was renamed Haines in 1884 in honor of Mrs. F.E. Haines, Secretary of the Presbyterian Women's Executive Society of Home Missions, who had raised funds for the mission's construction. During the Klondike gold rush in the late 1890s, it grew as a mining supply center, since the Dalton Trail from Chilkat Inlet to Whitehorse offered an easier route to the Yukon for prospectors. Gold was also discovered 36 miles from Haines in 1899 at the Porcupine District. Four canneries had been constructed in the area by the turn of the century. The first permanent U.S. military installation in Alaska, Fort William H. Seward, was constructed south of Haines in 1904. In 1922, the fort was renamed Chilkoot Barracks. Until World War II, it was the only U.S. Army post in Alaska. It was deactivated in 1946 and sold as surplus property to a group of veterans who established it as Port Chilkoot. The City of Port Chilkoot was incorporated in 1956. The borough formed as a third-class borough on August 29, 1968. In 1970, Port Chilkoot merged with Haines into the City of Haines. In 1972, the post was designated a national historic site and the name, Fort William Seward, was restored. The last of the early canneries closed in 1972 due to declining fish stocks. Expansion of the timber industry in the early 1970s fueled growth. In 1974, the borough annexed 420 square miles to the south, including Excursion Inlet. In 1978, it annexed the former military petroleum distribution facility at Lutak Inlet. The City of Haines and the Haines Borough were consolidated in 2002.
- Historically Chilkat Indian territory, Haines is now predominantly a non Native community. There are two Chilkat Indian villages in the area, the Chilkoot in Haines and the Chilkat in Klukwan.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Chilkoot Indian Association
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Schools, Haines Borough Volunteer Fire, Roads, Public Library, Sheldon Museum & Cultural Center, Chilkat Center, Youth Development, Cemeteries, Visitor Information, Ports & Harbors
- Haines is a major trans-shipment point because of its ice-free, deep water port and dock and year-round road access to Canada and Interior Alaska. It is a northern terminus of the Alaska State Ferry System and a hub for transportation to and from southeast Alaska. Haines has an asphalt airport runway and a landing area for float planes.
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District