in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Fort Greely is approximately 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 5 miles south of Delta Junction on the Richardson Highway. It lies east of the Delta River. Fort Greely consists of Allen Army Airfield and the Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) missile defense complex. The area is bordered by the Donnelly Training Area, which is under the control of Fort Wainwright.
- Interior Alaska experiences seasonal temperature extremes. January temperatures range from -22 to -2 °F; July temperatures range from 50 to 72 °F. Average annual precipitation is 11.3 inches. Ice fog is common during the winter.
- Community Map Available
History and Culture
- In 1904 the U.S. Army Signal Corps completed the McCarthy Telegraph Station in this area. In 1942, in concert with the construction of the Alaska Highway, airfields were built as part of the lend/lease program with the Soviet Union. This program involved ferrying American-built fighter planes to Russia via a number of airfields in Canada and Alaska; one of these airfields later became Fort Greely. In 1948, Fort Greely became the Northern Warfare Training Center and the Cold Regions Test Center for the U.S. Army. In 1997, Fort Greely was listed for closure under the Department of Defense's Base Realignment and Closure Program. In 2003, the White House announced that the U.S. would begin deploying a set of missile defense capabilities in 2004, including a missile complex at Fort Greely.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Richardson Highway provides access to Fairbanks and the statewide road system. The Allen Airfield has a asphalt runway but is restricted to military aircraft.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District