Home Rule City
in the Fairbanks North Star Borough - FNSB
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- North Pole is located 14 miles southeast of Fairbanks on the Richardson Highway. It lies 386 miles north of Anchorage and 2,347 miles northwest of Seattle.
- Moderate rainfall, dry air, and long hours of daylight during the summer characterize North Pole. Interior Alaska experiences seasonal temperature extremes. Average January temperatures range from -19 to -2 °F; average July temperatures range from 49 to 71 °F. Annual precipitation averages 11.5 inches, with 68 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- In 1944, Bon Davis homesteaded this area. Dahl and Gaske Development Company later bought the Davis homestead, subdivided it, and named it North Pole, hoping to attract a toy manufacturer that would advertise products as being made in North Pole. The Santa Claus House was subsequently developed by Con Miller and his family. The city was incorporated in 1953. Growth from Fairbanks and the nearby Eielson Air Force Base have increased development over the years.
- North Pole is renowned as the 'home of Santa Claus.' Letters from children all over the world are mailed to North Pole at Christmas each year. The Santa Claus House is a year-round attraction.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewer, Police, Fire & Ambulance, Fire Stations, Municipal Buildings I & II, Bingo, Building Permits
- The Alaska Railroad runs through the city center, which also lies on the Interior road system. There are four privately-owned airstrips in North Pole. The Fairbanks International Airport is also nearby.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District