2nd Class City
in the North Slope Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (new wick' sit); var. Nooiksut
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Nuiqsut is located on the west bank of the Nechelik Channel of the Colville River Delta, about 35 miles from the Beaufort Sea coast.
- The climate is arctic. Temperatures range from -56 to 78 °F. On average, the daily minimum temperature is below freezing 297 days each year. Annual precipitation is light, averaging 5 inches, with 20 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The Colville Delta has traditionally been a gathering and trading place for the Inupiat and has always offered good hunting and fishing. The old village of Nuiqsut (Itqilippaa) was abandoned in the late 1940s, because there was no school. The village was resettled in 1973 by 27 families from Barrow. A school, homes, and facilities were constructed by federal agencies in the summer of 1973 and 1974; goods were hauled from Barrow by tractor and snowmachine. The city was incorporated in 1975.
- The majority of the population is Inupiat Eskimo; they practice a traditional subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Nuiqsut
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Kisik Community Hall, Dock and Cable TV, The North Slope Borough Provides Water Delivery, Honey Bucket Hauling, Electric, Refuse Collection, Landfill, Health Clinic, Airport, Police and Volunteer Fire/EMS
- Air travel provides the only year-round access. The 4,343' long by 90' wide gravel airstrip is owned and operated by the North Slope Borough. Marine and land transportation provide seasonal access. Snowmachines are used for local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District