in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (skwent' nuh)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Skwentna lies on the south bank of the Skwentna River at its junction with Eight Mile Creek, 70 air miles northwest of Anchorage in the Mat-Su Borough. It lies in the Yentna River Valley.
- January temperatures range from -30 to 33 °F; July can vary from 42 to 83 °F. Annual precipitation averages 28 inches, with 70 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Dena'ina Athabascans have fished and hunted along the Skwentna and Yentna Rivers for centuries. In 1908 an Alaska Road Commission crew blazed a trail from Seward to Nome, going through Old Skwentna from the Susitna River to Rainy Pass. Many roadhouses were later constructed along the trail to the Innoko Mining District, including the Old Skwentna Roadhouse. Prospectors, trappers, and Natives often used sled dogs to transport goods over the trail. Max and Belle Shellabarger homesteaded and started a guide service in 1923 and later a flying service and weather station. A post office was opened in 1937. After World War II, Morrison-Knudson built an airstrip, and in 1950 the U.S. Army established a radar station at Skwentna and a recreation camp at Shell Lake, 15 air miles from Skwentna. In the 1960s, state land disposals increased settlement.
- Skwentna residents are scattered over a large area of land. It has a number of seasonal-use homes. There is a small local store, and area residents use snowmachines or aircraft to travel to the post office.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- There is no road access from the George Parks Highway, and residents are dependent upon air travel and snowmachines. A state-owned 3,400' long by 75' wide gravel airstrip is available. A private airstrip and float plane access, located at Alexander Lake, exist.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District