2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Landfill, Health Clinic, Community Building
Geography and Climate
- The community is located on the north shore of Goodnews Bay at the mouth of Goodnews River. It is 116 air miles south of Bethel, 110 miles northwest of Dillingham, and 400 miles west of Anchorage.
- Goodnews Bay is located in a transitional climatic zone, exhibiting characteristics of both a marine and continental climate. Average annual precipitation is 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F; winter temperatures average 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Yup'ik Eskimos called this village "Mumtraq." It was moved to its present location due to constant flooding and storms at the old site. Shortly thereafter, in the 1930s, a government school and post office were built. The city was incorporated in 1970. A high school was built in 1979.
- Goodnews Bay is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village practicing a subsistence, trapping, and fishing lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Goodnews Bay
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City
- Public Education
- Not permitted to provide this service.
- Planning, Platting and Land Use Regulation
- Not required to exercise the powers in any circumstance, but may be permitted in all cases in the manner described for first class cities.
- Property Tax Powers
- May tax up to 20 mills, except where a higher levy is required to avoid default. Voter approval required.
- Sales Tax Powers
- No limit on the rate of levy of sales taxes; however, voter approval is required.
- Other Powers Not Prohibited
- May exercise other powers not prohibited by law.
- City Council or Assembly Composition and Apportionment
- 7 members elected at-large, except the council may provide for election other than at-large.
- Election and Term of Mayor
- Elected from the city council for a 1-year term, unless a longer term is provided by ordinance. Mayor selected by council (or by voters upon adoption of ordinance).
- Vote by Mayor
- Votes on all matters.
- Veto Power of the Mayor
- Does not have veto power.
- Power of Eminent Domain
- Permitted, but requires voter approval.
- Ability to Attain Home-Rule Status
- May not adopt home-rule charter without first reclassifying to a first-class city.
- A state-owned gravel airstrip is available for chartered or private planes year-round. There are no docking facilities, although locals use boats and skiffs extensively during the summer months. Snow machines are the primary means of travel during the winter. Winter trails are marked along the Coastal Trail (60.3 mi) and the Arolik Trail (60.1 mi). Barges deliver fuel and other supplies during the summer months. Groceries and other small items are bought in by plane.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection