in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Red Devil is located on both banks of the Kuskokwim River, at the mouth of Red Devil Creek. It lies 75 air miles northeast of Aniak, 161 miles northeast of Bethel, and 250 miles west of Anchorage.
- The climate in Red Devil is continental with temperatures ranging between -58 and 90 °F. Annual snowfall averages 85 inches, with total precipitation of 20 inches. High winds often cause flight delays in fall and winter. The Kuskokwim River is ice-free from mid-June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The village was named after the Red Devil Mine, established in 1921 by Hans Halverson when numerous mercury (quicksilver) deposits were discovered in the surrounding Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. By 1933, the mine was producing substantial quantities of mercury. Although the mine changed ownership twice over the years, it continued to operate until 1971. The mine produced some 2.7 million pounds of mercury during its operation. A post office was established in 1957, and a state school opened in 1958.
- Red Devil is a mixed population of Yup'ik Eskimos, Tanaina Athabascans, and non-Natives. Subsistence activities are prevalent.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Village of Red Devil
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Kuskokwim River serves as a major transportation link and supply route for bulk supplies and fuel oil during the summer. In the winter, the frozen river is used as an ice road by snow machines for travel to neighboring villages. A gravel airstrip provides year-round access. It is owned and operated by the state. Scheduled weekday service is available.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District