in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nell chee' nuh)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Nelchina is located between mileposts 137.5 and 150.5 of the Glenn Highway, at the junction of the Little Nelchina River and Crooked Creek. It is about 30 miles west of Glennallen and Mendeltna, just east of the Mat-Su Borough boundary.
- It is located in the continental climate zone. Temperature extremes range from -74 to 96 °F. Annual snowfall averages 39 inches, with total precipitation of 9 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nelchina is an Athabascan Indian name. Gold in the creeks draining from the Chugach Mountains brought prospectors to this area in the late 1800s. Nelchina area offered several trails into the mountains. Nelchina was a mining settlement established around 1913. It was first reported by Theodore Chapin in a 1915 USGS publication.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The community lies on the Glenn Highway and accesses the statewide road system. There are several air strips in the area. Snowmachining is a prevalent local means of transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District