Who we are
The Commission is an independent, quasi-judicial agency of the State of Alaska. It is
established under the Alaska Oil and
Gas Conservation Act (AS 31). Its regulatory authority is outlined in Title 20, Chapter 25
the Administrative Code.
The Commission oversees oil and gas drilling, development and production, reservoir
depletion and metering operations on
all lands subject to the state's police powers.
The Commission acts to prevent waste, protect correlative rights, improve ultimate recovery
and protect underground freshwater.
It administers the Underground Injection Control (UIC) program for enhanced oil recovery
underground disposal of oil field waste in Alaska. It serves as an adjudicatory forum for
certain oil and gas disputes between owners, including the state. The Commission carries
statutory mandates consistent with the protection of health, safety and the environment. It
for cooperation with industry, while maintaining well-defined and essential regulatory
To protect the public interest in exploration and development of Alaska's valuable oil, gas,
geothermal resources through the application of conservation practices designed to ensure
ultimate recovery and the protection of health, safety, fresh ground waters and the rights
all owners to recover their share of the resource.
- Prevent waste of Alaska's oil and gas resources
- Protect correlative rights of the mineral interest owner
- Maximize recovery of oil and gas for the benefit of Alaska's citizens
- Protect freshwater from contamination by oil/gas/mud during drilling, production, and
- Administer Alaska's Underground Injection Control program for oil and gas wells
- Inspect oil field drilling, production, metering, and abandonment activities
- Evaluate, modify, and approve drilling and workover operations
- Evaluate, modify, and approve oil pool development rules
- Adjudicate disputes between owners
- Maintain state production records
- Maintain well history files and well records
- Oil and gas industry
- Concerned citizens and organizations
- Alaska Department of Natural Resources
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- Alaska Department of Revenue
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
General questions and requests.
Questions and submissions regarding all field
Join Our Mailing List -
If you or your organization would like to
receive Public Hearing Announcements and Copies of AOGCC Orders, click here.
For immediate assistance in the event of a field emergency, please call: (907) 659-2714