Skip to content
Back to Top

Notice of Office Closure

The Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development offices will be closed to the public on November 23rd and 24th. We will be closed November 23rd in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday and November 24th is an unpaid furlough day for employees to reduce state expenses.


How to Get Licensed

The State of Alaska Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing requires the following prior to engaging in business in the State of Alaska:

Prepare before you begin:

Step 1 (if applicable)

Professional License Section:

Before engaging in a business practice regulated under Alaska Statute Title 8 (AS 08) you must obtain a professional license.

If applicable, apply to the State of Alaska Professional License Section for an entity professional license for corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs, or apply for an individual professional license.

For additional professional license information and forms go to Professional License Section. Please direct any professional licensing questions to the specific professional license examiner.

Step 2 (if applicable)

Corporations Section:

Register your corporation/entity with the State of Alaska Corporations Section to receive an Alaska entity number. All forms are located on our Forms and Fees page. Once on that page, scroll down to your specific entity type and click on the appropriate form.

Note: All entities are required to have a registered agent with an Alaskan physical and mailing address. For additional registered agent information, see the Registered Agent FAQs. For more information on selecting an entity type, please read Chapter 2 of Establishing a Business in Alaska.

Note: Potential foreign entity exemptions may exist under State of Alaska corporation statutes; however they may not exist under professional licensing statutes, procurement statutes or other program statutes which supercede corporation exemptions. For more information regarding corporation statutes on foreign entity exemptions click on Possible Exemptions for Out of State Companies.

For additional corporations information and forms go to the Corporations Section. Please direct any corporation questions to the specific corporation examiner based on alpha-range of the entity name.

Step 3

Business License Section:

Before engaging in business activity, per AS 43.70.020, you must obtain a business license.

Apply to the State of Alaska Business License Section for a business license.

Note: The business license application will ask for the Alaska entity number (from Step 2, if applicable) and professional license number (from Step 1, if applicable).

For additional business license information and forms click on Business License Section. Please direct any business licensing questions to the specific business license examiner based on the alpha-range of the business name.

General Information:

Hardcopy filings are date stamped and processed in the order received. Standard processing time is 10-15 business days. Online filings are immediate filings unless flagged for examiner review; if flagged for examiner review, standard processing time will be applied. Please consider the different filing methods if you need to coordinate filing with more than one Section within this Division. Hardcopy filings to multiple Sections can be filed at the same time to obtain the same date stamp received. Filings, upon review by an examiner to determine compliance, are filed for record based on the date they were received complete and compliant.

Step 4

IMPORTANT — Check with other agencies.

After you have met the above requirements (Step 1-3) with this Division there will be other agencies you need to work with to ensure compliance with local, state and federal government requirements.

For more information go to: Establishing a Business in Alaska

For additional resources, which may provide technical, informational or advisory assistance, go to:

In addition, you may wish to contact a professional association or organization affiliated with your business activity.

If you need further assistance you are advised to seek the services of an attorney or other qualified professional.

Contact Us:

If you have questions you can reach us at either the Juneau or Anchorage phone numbers listed below or email us at:

Step 1: Professional Licensing Section
Step 2: Corporations Section
Step 3: Business Licensing Section

When contacting this office please direct your questions to the appropriate Section: Corporations, Professional Licensing or Business Licensing. Each Section specializes in its own licensing requirements per Alaska statutes and regulations.