Skip to content
Back to Top

Board of Public Accountancy

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to process my application?

All initial licensure applications are approved by the Board. It may take eight to twelve weeks after your application is complete to issue your permanent license. We process applications in date order of receipt. You can help us process your application by making sure you complete the application correctly and by submitting the correct fees and supporting documentation.

Try to apply well in advance of when you intend to start work in Alaska or when you plan to sit for the CPA exam.

What’s the status of my application?

You will be notified soon after your application has been reviewed. Wait for your first status update to reach you before calling the Division to ask for status updates.

Can I submit scanned or faxed copies to complete my application?

No, scanned or faxed documents are not acceptable.

What are the requirements to qualify for a license?

You will find a list of the requirements in the General Instructions, which is page 1 of the Application for Licensure. For additional information, including education and experience requirements, you may review the statutes and regulations published on the website.

How do I verify my license to another agency?

Mail a written request to the Board of Public Accountancy, 550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500, Anchorage, AK 99501 along with a $20.00 money order or check made payable to the State of Alaska. Allow three weeks processing time from the date we receive your request.

Is my license record public information?

Yes, licensing records are public documents and available to members of the public upon written request and payment of copying fees. Information considered confidential and not releasable to the general public include social security numbers, examination scores/transcripts, medical records and other information considered confidential by state or federal law. Your address of record is public information and is displayed on the division’s online License Search. Licensees have expressed concern that their address is so readily available. Some licensees have elected to have a post office box or practice location for their official address of record to avoid having their residential address easily accessible. Please be advised that all notices from the Board (renewal notices, licenses, and other legal documents) will be mailed to the address of record provided.

How do I submit a Name/Address Change?

It is your responsibility to notify this office of name/address changes and to keep this information on record current.

The name appearing on your license must be your current legal name. If you have changed your name, you must submit the Name/Address Change form #08-4291, as well as a copy of the legal document (marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) supporting your name change.

Board mailing address: 550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500, Anchorage, AK 99501 or Fax: (907) 269-8156

How do I get a “Certified True Copy”?

To obtain a Certified True Copy, take the original document and a photocopy to a notary public so he/she may compare the original to the photocopy of the document. Either the applicant or the notary must write, “I certify this to be a true copy of the original document” on the photocopy and attest to that fact by signing the document and having it notarized.

When does my license lapse?

All licenses issued by the Board of Public Accountancy expire on December 31 of odd-numbered years. New licenses issued within one year of the current expiration date will be issued a permanent license to December 31 of the current expiration date. For example, a CPA license issued in August of 2013 will be valid until December 31, 2013. New licenses issued within 90 days of the current expiration date will be issued a permanent license through the next licensing period. For example, a CPA license issued in October of 2013 will be valid until December 2015.

Do I have to pay the full renewal fee since I was just issued a permanent license within the past year?

No, licensees who received a permanent license within one year of the current expiration date do have to renew, but will pay only one-half of the renewal fee.

When will I receive my renewal application?

Renewal notices are provided at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on file, in accordance with AS 08.01.050. Login to the MY LICENSE self-service portal to ensure your contact information is up to date. Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve a licensee from the responsibility of renewing a license on time.

How do I reinstate my license?

Reinstatement requirements are set out in the “Application for Reinstatement” form available from this web site. Please be aware that continuing education used to “reinstate” your license may not be used to “renew” your license.

Will I receive a certificate once I have passed all the sections of the CPA exam?

No. Alaska is a one-tier state. This means that you will not receive a certificate for passing all sections of the exam. However, we can provide a verification of your successful passage of the exam to another state for a fee of $20 payable to the State of Alaska.

Do you have another question?

Please fill out our Customer Contact Form for the fastest response.