Skip to content
Back to Top

Military Licensing

Temporary Military Licensing

Active duty military personnel with Alaska orders and spouses of active duty military personnel with Alaska orders may request temporary licensure in accordance with AS 08.01.063 - AS 08.01.064. Temporary licenses are available for most license types listed below and are valid for 180 days.

Barring any circumstances outside our control, temporary license applications will be issued within 30 days of receipt of a complete qualifying application. (Please note that a complete qualifying application includes all required supporting documents, including those required from a third party, so please submit requests to those third parties as far in advance as possible.)

The application is only available online using the division’s application portal, MY LICENSE, which is accessed via the state’s myAlaska system. A valid credit card payment is required to apply online. Use the following link to set up your account and initiate your application:

Please be sure to begin the permanent application process quickly after applying for the temporary license if you will need a license more than 180 days. One-time extensions of the temporary licenses are available but not guaranteed. See below for more information on extensions.

Temporary Military License Extensions

Existing temporary licenses issued under AS 08.01.063 or AS 08.01.064 may be extended for an additional 180-day period. To avoid periods of unlicensed practice, extensions must be requested in advance and approved prior to the expiration of the original temporary license. Please allow up to three weeks for processing.

To request an extension, submit the Request for Extension - Military Temporary License form (#08-4832).

Military Education, Training, Service Credit and Exemptions

Military personnel are encouraged to submit documentation of military training, skills, and experience along with an application for licensure. Upon determination of equivalency, relevant military experience will be credited for licensing requirements and educational credit will be granted for appropriate training. Military personnel may request this determination of equivalency online using the MY LICENSE portal.

Alaska law also allows licensed members of the military who are deployed to combat zones, danger pay posts, or hazardous duty areas to defer licensing requirements. There is a section within the online application where military personnel who meet this requirement may request this exemption. Before submitting the application, please read the authorizing statutes of these licensing programs (see links below) and for the profession in which you plan to work to ensure familiarity with Alaska law.

Military Family Life Counselors

Currently, Department of Defense contracts prefer Military Family Life Counselors hold a license in the state in which services are delivered. The State of Alaska is committed to processing these licenses quickly. To request expedited review of your application as a professional counselor, social worker, or other qualifying license type, please email your request to MilitaryLicense@Alaska.Gov. and copy your employment agency contact. Agencies working under the MFLC contract should email the names and license types of applicants to this address.


Questions about the military temporary license may be directed to:MilitaryLicense@Alaska.Gov. Questions about specific licensing programs, full license applications, and scope of practice should be directed to the individual program listed below:

* Expedited Military Temporary License is currently available by registering with our MY LICENSE online system.

** These boards have determined that no equivalent license exists for land surveyor, big game guide, or marine pilot.

*** Full license application is faster for these license types. Contact staff directly with questions to ensure your license is reviewed quickly.

Statutes and Regulations

Alaska Statutes are passed by the legislature. Regulations (also called the Alaska Administrative Code) are rules adopted by the department to implement, interpret, and make specific the statutes. Both statutes and regulations have the force of law.

Military temporary licenses are authorized by AS 08.01.063 and AS 08.01.064.

Active duty military service waiver is authorized by AS 08.01.100.

Licensees are responsible for knowledge of all statutes and regulations pertaining to their profession. These can be located using the links to each individual program web page. AS 08.01-08.03 and 12 AAC 02 apply to all professions regulated by the division.

Centralized Licensing Statutes: AS 08.01-08.03

Centralized Licensing Regulations: 12 AAC 02

Contact Information

Military Spouse and Personnel Licensing
Telephone: (907) 465-2550
Fax: (907) 465-2974
E-mail: MilitaryLicense@Alaska.Gov
Address: P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806