Skip to content
Back to Top

Real Estate Commission

Consumer Information

File a Complaint

The Real Estate Commission Regulates:

  • The actions of real estate licensees in the course of their professional real estate activity as described in AS 08.88.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for representing a person in a real estate transaction. AS 08.88.161.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for managing another person’s rental property. 12 AAC 64.550 (Exceptions may apply, see 08.88.900)

The Real Estate Commission cannot help consumers recover civil or monetary damages. In other words, the Commission cannot help someone get money back.

The Commission does not regulate, and cannot provide help on:

  • Landlord and tenant laws
  • Contract law
  • Real property transactions between private parties not involving real estate licensees
  • Board of Realtor® ethics complaints
  • Home Owner Associations (HOA’s), Community Associations, and Cooperatives

People with disputes or questions in areas of law outside the Commission’s jurisdiction may need the assistance of lawyer. Information can be found at the Alaska State Bar Association’s lawyer referral service webpage.

Other Options

The Real Estate Commission recommends that you discuss your concerns with the licensee first. You may also try communicating with the licensee’s broker. Regardless, you may file a complaint with the Commission at any time.

Complaint Process

The Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing investigates matters pertaining to licensed professionals. To learn more about the complaint process, or to file a complaint, visit the Investigations Section website.

Contact Information

State of Alaska
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
Investigations Section
550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500
Anchorage, AK 99501-3567
Phone: 907-269-8124
Fax: 907-269-8195