Skip to content
Back to Top

Construction Contractors

Electronic Requests for License Verification

NOTE: This feature is for individuals who have registered with MY LICENSE and wish to pay the filing fee online with a credit card payment .

If you are not registered with MY LICENSE and would like information on how to register, please contact

  1. Submit Your Request
    • Send your Request for License Verification to:
    • Put the program along with your first and last name in the subject line.
    • The following information must be provided in the body of your email:
      • NAME: The name used when your professional license was last issued or renewed.
      • LICENSE NUMBER: Your professional license number.
      • SEND TO: Provide both the Board and/or Agency name along with a complete mailing address.
  2. Payment of Fees
    • You will be sent a notification email with a link to your license details page.
    • A “Make a Payment” link will be available within your license details page under “Actions”.
    • A $20 filing fee is required for each verification of license.
  3. Completed Request
    • You will be sent a notification email with a link to your license details page when the request is completed.
    • Please allow up to 10 business days for processing after submitting your payment.

If you prefer to submit a check or money order, you may mail in the Request License Verification form.

It is Time to Renew Your License!
Specialty & Mechanical Contractors

Click Here to Renew Online

Valid License Numbers Contain Either:

6 numbers
4 letters + at least 1 number

If you have an alpha-numeric license number, you must enter all of the characters in order to renew online. EXAMPLE: ABCD1234

MY LICENSE Online Renewal

Please use our convenient MY LICENSE online renewal application. In most cases your license will be renewed immediately. Due to a heavy volume of renewal activities, processing time for renewal applications received by mail may take up to 4-6 weeks.

If you have not registered, follow these simple steps:

  1. Visit the MY LICENSE customer home page at: ProfessionalLicense.Alaska.Gov/MYLICENSE
  2. If you have an existing myAlaska account, enter your account information. If not, please create an account. You will be redirected to the MY LICENSE customer home page.
  3. Under Access an Existing License, enter your license number and Web Authorization Code, if one has been provided. This information is on your renewal notice.
  4. To renew your license, simply select the license you wish to renew from the Professional Licensing section.

The Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing staffs the construction contractor program. The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development adopts regulations to carry out laws governing construction contractors in Alaska. It makes final licensing decisions and takes disciplinary actions against people who violate licensing laws.

Workers Compensation Changes


Beginning August 1, 2019, workers compensation will be required for all employees of a business entity, including executive officers of corporation or a limited liability company. With the following exceptions:

  • An executive officer of a corporation or limited liability company who owns 10% or more of the business entity may be exempt from holding workers compensation for themselves. However, a corporation or limited liability company may bring an executive officer who owns 10% or greater of the business entity within its worker compensation coverage if they so choose.


If you currently hold a Construction Contractor’s license with the State of Alaska, and are an owner or executive officer who owns less than 10% of the business entity, please do the following:

  • If you already have an Executive Officer Waiver from the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Division issued prior to August 1, 2019; this waiver will remain in effect until the expiration of your current workers compensation policy. Upon renewal of the policy, the waiver will no longer be in effect.
  • Contact your insurance provider and include all executive officers and owners under your workers compensation coverage.


These requirements will be effective as of August 1, 2019, and will be verified by the Division of Corporations Business & Professional Licensing during the bi-annual license renewal for each license.

Regulated Professions

General Contractors

General Contractors may perform new home construction, commercial work, and residential remodel work. General contractors that oversee new home construction or perform residential work greater than 25% of the value of a structure being altered must obtain a Residential Contractor license and/or a Residential Contractor Endorsement.

Residential Contractors

Residential Contractors are contractors who have a Residential Contractor Endorsement or have assigned to them an individual(s) who has a residential contractor endorsement. Residential Contractors may undertake construction of a privately owned residential structure of one to four units and residential work greater than 25% the value of the structure being altered.

Residential Contractor Endorsement

This endorsement may be obtained after an individual has completed a 16-hour cold climate course and passed the residential contractors endorsement exam. A holder of a residential contractor endorsement is not permitted to perform work under this license unless they are assigned to a Residential Contractor or hold a Residential Contractor’s license themselves in addition to this endorsement.

Specialty Contractors

Specialty contractors may perform work that requires the use of not more than three trades. If your work falls under more than three trades you will need to apply as a General or Residential Contractor. A list of approved trades may be found HERE.

Electrical Contractors

Electrical contractors are licensed Specialty Contractors who have Electrical Contractor or Communications Contractor listed as one of their trades. In order to qualify as an electrical contractor an Electrical Administrator license must be assigned to the Specialty Contractor as an additional license, or an individual who holds an electrical administrator license must be assigned to the specialty contractor. Please see the Electrical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required.

Mechanical Contractors

Mechanical contractors may perform any of the mechanical disciplines for which their Mechanical Administrator license allows (plumbing, heating, sheet metal, or refrigeration). A mechanical administrator license is required in addition to the Mechanical Contractors license in order to perform work. A Mechanical Contractor may hold the mechanical administrator license themselves as an additional license, or have an individual(s) assigned to their license who holds the Mechanical Administrator license. Please see the Mechanical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required. Please note a mechanical contractor may only perform mechanical work; the installation of mechanical controls requires both an Electrical Administrators license and a Mechanical Administrators license.

Handyman Contractors

Handyman contractors may perform work on projects with an aggregate contract of $10,000 or less for each project. This aggregate total is to include all labor, materials and other items for that project.

Contact Us:

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Physical Address:
State Office Building
333 Willoughby Avenue, 9th Floor
Juneau, AK 99801


Karl Marx
Email preferred: ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov
Please include your business name and contractor license number if applicable in the subject line. Do not email payments.
(907) 465-5470

Janet Brown
Email preferred: ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov
Please include your business name and contractor license number if applicable in the subject line. Do not email payments.
(907) 465-5372

Residential Contractors
Jerry Hannasch
Email preferred: ResidentialContractors@Alaska.Gov
Please include your business name and contractor license number if applicable in the subject line. Do not email payments.
(907) 465-8443

General Inquiries
Inquiries without a license:
Email preferred: ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov
Do not email payments.