Skip to content
Back to Top

Business Licensing

EIN, FEIN, and TIN Frequently Asked Questions

The Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing does not issue EIN numbers. This division does issue the following:

  • Alaska Entity Numbers
  • Alaska Professional License Numbers
  • Alaska Business License Numbers

EIN numbers are federally issued employer identification numbers assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development may require registration.

In addition, there may be local government registration and reporting requirements.

The below information is provided by the Corporations Section of this Division as a courtesy. You are strongly advised to contact the IRS, Alaska Department of Labor, and your local government for additional information and requirements.

  1.     What is a federally issued EIN, FEIN and TIN?

The Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a unique federally issued nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

The EIN is also known as the following:

  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN)

EIN or FEIN is when the number is used for the purposes of reporting employment taxes.

TIN is when the number is used for identification purposes other than employment tax reporting.

For more information go to the IRS website Employer ID Numbers.

  2.     Who needs a federally issued EIN?

EINs are used by employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, non-profit associations, trusts, estates of decedents, government agencies, certain individuals, and other business entities.

A business needs an EIN in order to pay employees and to file business tax returns.

A single-member LLC that is a disregarded entity that does not have employees and does not have an excise tax liability does not need an EIN.

Individuals (sole proprietors) who are employers may choose to either obtain an EIN or use their Social Security number for reporting purposes. However, you may need an EIN for dealing with other businesses, including banks that may require an EIN to set up business accounts.

  3.     Why does a business need a federally issued EIN?

The IRS and other government employment agencies use this number to identify tax payers that are required to file various business tax returns.

  4.     How do I get a federally issued EIN?

Applying for an EIN is a free service offered by the IRS.

For more information including how to apply online, by fax, by mail or by telephone go to the IRS website How to Apply For an EIN.

  5.     After obtaining a federally issued EIN, register with the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce.

Every employing unit, including any person, firm, corporation, or other type of organization that for some portion of a day within the calendar year has employed one or more persons, is required by law and regulation to file the Alaska Employer Registration form.

For more information on State of Alaska employer registration and reporting requirements go to: Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development

  6.     In addition, local government requirements:

Check with your local government, municipality, city, borough, village, etc. for additional business registration and reporting requirements.

  7.     Additional Resources:

For additional resources, which may provide technical, informational or advisory assistance, go to:

In addition, you may wish to contact a professional association or organization affiliated with your business activity.

If you need further assistance you are advised to seek the services of an attorney or other qualified professional.

This Division does not provide legal advice. The information contained within these webpages is provided for your convenience and is not to be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to know what your registering, reporting and filing requirements are based on your specific business activities. Not knowing what is expected of you may not preclude you from the legal obligation to meet these requirements and compliance with the law. You are encouraged to seek the advice of a professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Attorney if you need additional assistance.

Contact Us
Professional Licensing Section Email: License@Alaska.Gov
Corporations Section Email: Corporations@Alaska.Gov
Business Licensing Section Email: BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov