Skip to content
Back to Top

Disaster Preparedness

Home Hardening & Wildfire Mitigation

  Disaster Preparedness and your Insurance

If you experience an insurance-related claims-handling issue after a disaster, you are welcome to contact Consumer Services at the Alaska Division of Insurance (907-269-7900) with your concerns. Consumers can file complaints regarding their encountered issues on this website. For more information about filing a complaint, select this link.

  Earthquake Resources

  Landslide Resources

  • Are home and business insurance coverage for landslides the same as for mudflow or earthquake?
    No. A landslide is considered an "earth movement" event so, like an earthquake, it is excluded from standard homeowners and business insurance policies. However, you can buy what’s commonly known as a "difference in conditions" policy (which typically offers all-in-one coverage for landslides, mudflows, earthquakes, and floods). Difference in conditions policies are sold by surplus lines insurers; your insurance professional can help you find a surplus lines insurer that will meet your needs.
  • Will an earthquake insurance policy cover my home or business for landslides as well?
    No. Like landslides, earthquakes do involve earth movement, however in general a separate earthquake policy is needed for quake-caused property damage as the causes of the movement are different. Landslides are caused by erosion or water accumulation that destabilizes the land, while earthquakes are caused by seismic activity. Earthquake insurance is available from private insurance carriers for renters, homeowners and business owners.
  • Does my auto insurance policy provide coverage for mudflow and landslides?
    Check with your insurer to determine if you purchased optional comprehensive coverage with your auto insurance policy.

Landslide Resources:

  Fire/Wildfire Resources   Flood and Mudslide Resources   Windstorm Resources