Skip to content
Back to Top

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is not included in your homeowner's policy. It is sold as a separate policy. Coverage may include direct physical losses caused by a flood, flood-related erosion, abnormal tidal surges, and mudslides. 

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides these policies through an arrangement with private companies. If your property is located in an area with a high likelihood of flooding, your lender may also require that you obtain this coverage.

Several policy forms are available. The policy you're offered and the price you pay for it are largely determined by the location of your home.

Your agent should be able to determine what flood zone applies to your property. Or you can find your flood map here. You may also be required to obtain an elevation certificate, a document from an engineer that shows the relative elevation of different areas of your home.