Skip to content
Back to Top

Offices Closed to Public

The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development offices are closed to the public at this time. We are still open for business and encourage you to contact us via phone or email.

Local Government Resource Desk


Contractual Agreements Between Municipal and Tribal Governments and/or Non-Profits


A significant number of Alaskan communities have both municipal and tribal governments, and/or also regional or non-profit corporations providing local services. Increasingly, these communities are finding that the limited funds and/or pool of trained workers cannot support two or more government administrations, and are looking at options for combining functions to lower costs and implement "economies of scale." Creating an agreement between two or more organizations to share responsibilities and resources can mutually benefit both, these are typically called "Memorandums of Agreement" or MOA. A more informal agreement is called a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which is more of a non-binding statement of intent.

Narrative Frequently Asked Questions Additional Resources Applicable Laws and Regulations

Updated 12/21/2014