Skip to content
Back to Top

Offices Closed to Public

The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development offices are closed to the public at this time. We are still open for business and encourage you to contact us via phone or email.

Local Government Resource Desk


Filing Small Claims


The following is for informational purposes only. The Division of Community and Regional Affairs does not process small claims. If you wish to begin the small claims process, you will have to do so through the Alaska Court System or call 907-264-0514.


A small claims case is a simplified type of court case to recover money or personal property to satisfy a debt. A small claims action can only be filed for claims up to $10,000. If the claim is over $10,000, a small claims action can still be filed, but the right to collect the amount over $10,000 must be waived along with the right to a jury trial. The $10,000 figure does not include interest, court costs, or other related fees, which can be added to the $10,000 amount.

Narrative Frequently Asked Questions Additional Resources Applicable Laws and Regulations

Revised 12/21/2014