Skip to content
Back to Top

Offices Closed to Public

The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development offices are closed to the public at this time. We are still open for business and encourage you to contact us via phone or email.


How does a non-profit obtain tax-exempt status?

The State of Alaska does not grant tax-exempt status.  Tax-exempt designation comes from the U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service.

IMPORTANT: The IRS has specific filing time frames and language expectations for obtaining tax exempt status from the IRS. For more information you are strongly encouraged to visit the IRS websites.


  1. RESEARCH: to determine the specific IRS filing time frames and IRS language requirements for the particular tax exempt status you desire for your organization;
  2. STATE: File articles of organization (include the appropriate required IRS language) with this office to obtain an Alaska Entity Number;
  3. FEDERAL: File with the IRS requesting the desired tax exempt status and include the required documents filed for record with the State of Alaska as evidence to support your request to the IRS;
  4. OTHER AGENCIES: File with the other agencies, such as, but not limited to:

The State of Alaska Corporations Section strongly encourages you to visit the IRS websites before proceeding:

The IRS provides specialized assistance to tax-exempt organizations, call 877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time. Residents of Alaska follow Pacific time.)

The IRS provides web based training modules & mini courses online at

The above IRS tax-exempt information is provided by the Corporations Section as a courtesy.  You are strongly advised to research the requirements to obtain tax-exempt status from the IRS and how the contents of your filing(s) with the State of Alaska may impact your tax-exempt eligibility with the IRS.  If you require assistance, you are advised to seek the services of an attorney or other qualified professional specialized in the area of tax-exempt non-profits.

State of Alaska forms can be found on the Forms and Fees

This Division does not provide legal advice. The information contained within these webpages is provided for your convenience and is not to be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to know what your registering, reporting and filing requirements are based on your specific business activities. Not knowing what is expected of you may not preclude you from the legal obligation to meet these requirements and compliance with the law. You are encouraged to seek the advice of a professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Attorney if you need additional assistance.

Contact Us

When contacting this office, please direct your questions to the appropriate Section: Corporations, Professional Licensing, or Business Licensing. Each Section specializes in its own requirements per Alaska statutes and regulations.

Professional Licensing Section
Email: License@Alaska.Gov

Corporations Section
Email: Corporations@Alaska.Gov

Business Licensing Section
Email: BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov