Skip to content
Back to Top

Grants Administration

Designated Legislative (DL) Grants

Communities and organizations seek funding through their state senators and representatives for identified capital projects. Appropriations are included in the Capital Bill by the legislature at their discretion, with final approval by the governor. Under the governor’s discretion, project funding may be reduced or vetoed entirely.

The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs’ Grant Section manages the program under the provisions of the Alaska Statutes 37.05.315-37.05.325.

  • AS 37.05.315 Grants to Municipalities
  • AS 37.05.316 Grants to Named Recipients
  • AS 37.05.317 Grants to Unincorporated Communities
  • AS 37.05.318 Further Regulations prohibited
  • AS 37.05.325 Definitions for AS 37.05.315-37.05.317

Alaska Statutes are codified laws enacted by the legislature. The most current statutes can be found on the Alaska State Legislature website:

Upon approval of the capital bill, all grantees with grants appropriated to the department will be notified by the department. Most grants will have an effective date July 1st of every year and expenditures may not be incurred prior to that date unless otherwise stated in law.

Types of Designated Legislative Grants

  • Feasibility studies
  • Construction projects
  • Building improvements and upgrades
  • Design and engineering
  • Land acquisition
  • Equipment purchase, upgrades, or repairs

If you would like to know more about this program or if your community or organization has been appropriated a grant, please review resources available below.

Grant Related Resources Grant Related Forms Everything You Want to Know About the Designated Legislative Grant Program

We have compiled a list of common questions regarding the administration of the Designated Legislative Grant Program that we have received over the years. They are outlined below with corresponding answers.

    Q. Where can I find a list of active and or closed grants administered by the Division of Community and Regional Affairs (DCRA)? Q. Who do I contact if I have a question regarding a particular grant or community?
    • A. Each grant is assigned to a particular grants administrator. eGrants Online can be used to determine the grants administrator associated with the grant or community in question. If unable to access the database, contact Debi Kruse, Designated Legislative grants program lead, at (907) 465-5541 or to request the contact information of the assigned grants administrator.
    Q. If a grant is approved in the capital budget, when is the grant recipient able to begin spending grant funds? Q. How long do grant recipients have to spend appropriated funds? Q. What is DCRA’s process for grants that are due to lapse? Q. What is the role of the DCRA Grants Section once the capital budget bill has been signed into law? Q. How are funds disbursed? Q. How can grantees ensure reimbursements are approved?

For more information about DL Grants contact:

Debi Kruse

Division of Community and Regional Affairs
Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
Location: Juneau
Phone: 465-5541
Fax: 465-5867