Skip to content
Back to Top


Purchase a NEW Alaska Business License Online

Important: Please Read Carefully

If Step #1 and/or Step #2 are applicable below, then Business Licensing is the last step with this Division:

  • Step #1 (if applicable): If you will be engaging in business in Alaska as an entity (Corporation, INC, LLC, LLP, LP, etc.), then you must register for an Alaska Entity Number through www.Corporations.Alaska.Gov. If you will not have an entity, skip this step.
  • Step #2 (if applicable): If you and/or your entity will have a professional activity (construction contractor, medical, dental, hairdresser, nursing, engineering, etc.), then you must obtain a professional license at www.ProfessionalLicense.Alaska.Gov. If you will not have a professionally licensed activity, skip this step.
  • Step #3: If one or both steps above are applicable, Business Licensing is the last step through www.BusinessLicense.Alaska.Gov. If Steps #1 and #2 are not applicable, or you have already completed Steps #1 and #2, click the link below to apply for Business Licensing at any time!

For more information, go to: How To Get Licensed

Note: If you are attempting to RENEW an existing business license please go to RENEW an Alaska Business License Online.


To avoid errors and ensure compliance with Business Licensing Statutes & Regulations, please review the following information to prepare. Contact BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov if you have questions.

  • REVIEW and RE-CHECK your data entry for spelling and accuracy before proceeding to payment.
  • Business licenses are non-refundable. Another form or new license could be required if there is an error in your license. See: Payment & Refund Policy
  • Do not use BACK or FORWARD buttons in your web browser. Only use the buttons provided within the application.
  • Be aware that auto-fill features enabled in your web browser can cause incorrect data entry in your application. Disable your auto-fill if this causes issues.


  • New or Renewing Business Licenses (online) post immediately. Download or print license certificates at Search Business Licenses.
  • Do not duplicate your filing or payment by submitting hard copy. Online filings are completed immediately.
1. What will be your “Business Name”?

A “Business Name” is a DBA (doing business as) name, trade name, or AKA (also known as) name. This is the name you or your entity will be doing business under in the State of Alaska.

A new/separate business license is required for each name your business will be operating and advertising under.

The business must operate and advertise under the exact business name selected in your business license.

For more information, go to: Selecting a Name for Your Business.

Important: A business license does not give you exclusive rights to your business name. For more information, go to: Reserve or Register a Business Name.

2. Who will be the Owner of your business license?

Provide the owner’s name carefully. Business license fees are non-refundable once a business license has been issued. A correction to the ownership could require a new business license.

The “Owner” of your Alaska Business License MUST be one (1) of the following:

Entity: A corporation (INC), limited liability company (LLC), limited liability partnership (LLP), limited partnership (LP), or other entity type. Select “Entity” for the ownership and enter the Alaska Entity Number issued under the Corporations Section. Do not list an individual/person as the owner of the license; this must be your entity.


Sole Proprietor: Owned by one (1) natural individual/person. Select “Individual” in the Owner section of the application and provide the owner’s full legal name.


Partnership: Two or more “persons” (individuals or entities) share ownership. Click “Add Owner” to add multiple owners.

A Sole Proprietor or Partnership cannot use an entity indicator (i.e. INC, LLC, LLP, LP, etc.) in the business name (DBA).

3. NAICS Code(s): What business activities will you be engaging in?

NAICS codes are 6-digit codes that describe your business activities. Business activities are identified in Line of Business and Alaska NAICS Codes and North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). You can provide up to ten (10) different NAICS codes for your business activities.

You must indicate your line of business and 6-digit NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) codes that best describe your business activities.

Important: If any of your business activities require Professional Licensing (construction contractor, medical, dental, hairdresser, nursing, engineering, etc.), then you must list those NAICS Codes as your primary and/or secondary NAICS codes and obtain your Professional License before applying for a business license. You will be asked to provide and validate your Professional License.

4. Selling tobacco products, electronic smoking products, or products containing nicotine?

Select “Add Endorsement” in the online application to add one or more Endorsements to your license. Per AS 43.70.075, you must have an Endorsement if you sell: tobacco products, electronic smoking products, or products containing nicotine.

The Alaska Business License is required in addition to the Endorsement. The Endorsement will expire on the same date as your business license.

An Endorsement is required for each location or outlet where tobacco products, electronic smoking products, or products containing nicotine are sold.

An Endorsement is a $100.00 per Endorsement, per location. This is a flat rate whether you have a 1-year or 2-year business license. Recommended: Purchase a 2-year license for a better bargain.

For more information, go to: Endorsement FAQs

5. Disabled Veteran Discount, Joint Ventures, and “Other” Owner Types:

Disabled Veteran Discount: A veteran who qualifies for the “service-connected” disabled veteran discount may apply for a new license hard copy as a Sole Proprietor. This means the license will be owned by (1) natural individual – a Partnership or an Entity do not qualify for this discount. If you are a Sole Proprietor and you qualify for this discount, file a Business License: NEW Application (form 08-4181) hard copy (in-person or U.S. mail) and include a copy of your “service-connected” disability determination letter from Veteran Affairs or “service-connected” military ID. Do not send documentation containing medical information.

Some Joint Ventures: If there are two or more "Entity" Owners and at least one entity does not have an Alaska Entity Number with the Corporations Section, online filing is not available. You must apply hard copy (in-person or U.S. Mail) by submitting a Business License: NEW Application (form 08-4181). Select "PARTNERSHIP" in the Ownership Section and provide the requested information. Important: As a Joint Venture, at least one (1) entity owner must have an Alaska Entity Number with the Corporations Section.

The Owner is a Trust, Tribe, Village, Municipality, Unincorporated Organization, Bank, or similar organization and does not have an Alaska Entity Number with the Corporations Section: Online filing is not available. You must apply hard copy (in-person or U.S. Mail) by submitting a Business License: NEW Application (form 08-4181). In the “Ownership” section of the application, select “OTHER” and describe the type of organization.

Submit hard copy applications and payments via U.S. mail (do not e-mail). Hard copy applications are processed in date order received by the Business Licensing Section. Standard processing time from March-September is 2-3 weeks. During heavy business filing seasons (October-February), the processing time may be delayed.

We accept all major credit cards.

Business Licensing Payment & Refund Policy

This Division does not provide legal advice. The information contained within these webpages is provided for your convenience and is not to be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to know what your registering, reporting and filing requirements are based on your specific business activities. Not knowing what is expected of you may not preclude you from the legal obligation to meet these requirements and compliance with the law. You are encouraged to seek the advice of a professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Attorney if you need additional assistance.

Contact Us
Corporations Section Email: Corporations@Alaska.Gov
Professional Licensing Section Email: License@Alaska.Gov
Business Licensing Section Email: BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov