Skip to content
Back to Top

Business Licensing

Endorsement FAQs

IMPORTANT: Two New Federal Laws

Tobacco 21: raising the minimum age to 21

On December 20, 2019, President Trump signed legislation to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and raise the federal minimum age for the sale of tobacco products from 18 to 21 years. It is now illegal for a retailer to sell any tobacco products, electronic smoking devices, and products containing nicotine to anyone under 21. For more information see below #1 Tobacco 21.

Flavor Restrictions: enforcement of flavored products and other products used by minors

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced new enforcement policies for certain Electronic Nicotine Devices (ENDS) products. This is another term for electronic smoking devices such as vaping devices and e-cigarettes. FDA requires a review process (“premarket authorization”) for these products before they go to market, and currently no ENDS products have been authorized by the FDA. This means that all ENDS products currently on the market are already considered illegally marketed and are subject to enforcement at the FDA’s discretion. For more information see below #2 Flavor Restrictions.

Alaska Business License Endorsement changes effective 1/1/2019!

In addition to Tobacco Products, if you sell any Electronic Smoking Product (regardless of content) or Products Containing Nicotine, then you must obtain an Endorsement.
Alaska Business Licensing Statutes (law) AS 43.70 has changed, effective January 1, 2019, a Business License Endorsement is required for each location where tobacco products, electronic smoking products, or nicotine products are sold.

1. TOBACCO 21 – new federal law. 2. Flavor Restrictions – new federal law. 3. Where can I get an Endorsement Warning Sign? 4. What do the January 1, 2019, endorsement changes mean? 5. Do I need a Business License Endorsement to sell cigarettes or tobacco products? 6. Do I need a Business License Endorsement to sell E-cigarettes and electronic smoking products? 7. Do I need a Business License Endorsement to sell products containing nicotine? 8. Does a wholesaler need a Business License Endorsement? 9. Does an out-of-state business need a Business License Endorsement? 10. Does a pharmacy need a Business License Endorsement? 11. How do I add an Endorsement to by my Business License? 12. How do I renew my existing Business License and existing Endorsement? 13. What are the Endorsement fees? 14. Will Business Licensing Statutes and Regulations permit a change to a Business License Endorsement? 15. What are my responsibilities for the sale of tobacco products? 16. What are my responsibilities for the sale of electronic smoking products and products containing nicotine? 17. What exactly are "electronic smoking products"? 18. What if I want to sell marijuana electronic smoking products, do I need a business license endorsement? 19. Which State of Alaska agency regulates marijuana? 20. What are the penalties if a business violates (breaks) the Alaska Business Licensing Statutes (law) regarding the sale of tobacco products, electronic smoking products, or products containing nicotine? 21. A penalty for violating the sale of one type of product requiring endorsement (i.e. tobacco products) affect my ability to sell the other products requiring endorsement (i.e. electronic smoking products or products containing nicotine)? 22. I have a complaint, what can I do?

This Division does not provide legal advice. The information contained within these webpages is provided for your convenience and is not to be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to know what your registering, reporting and filing requirements are based on your specific business activities. Not knowing what is expected of you may not preclude you from the legal obligation to meet these requirements and compliance with the law. You are encouraged to seek the advice of a professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Attorney if you need additional assistance.

Contact Us
Professional Licensing Section Email: License@Alaska.Gov
Corporations Section Email: Corporations@Alaska.Gov
Business Licensing Section Email: BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov