Skip to content
Back to Top

Do You Need a License?

When a License is Required

Any person who sells, solicits, or negotiates insurance in this state for any kind or line of insurance must be licensed for that line of authority in accordance with Alaska law, unless exempt.

Sell means to exchange a contract of insurance by any means, for money or its equivalent, on behalf of an insurer.

Solicit means to attempt to sell insurance or to ask or urge a person to apply for a particular kind of insurance from a particular company.

Negotiate means to confer directly with or offer advice directly to a purchaser or prospective purchaser of a particular contract of insurance concerning any of the substantive benefits, terms, or conditions of the contract.

See AS 21.27.010.

When a License is Not Required

Group Plans Employee

A license is not required if you only secure and forward information for issuing group insurance, are paid no commissions for the service, and are employed by a person who is licensed under AS 21.27 to sell group insurance.

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (2).

"Group" Credit Insurance

The exemption is intended only for a true group enrollment in a plan sponsored by an employer on behalf of its employees.
Some insurers have filed their credit insurance programs as a “group” insurance product in which they issue a master policy to the lending institution and a participating certificate rather than an original policy to the consumers purchasing credit insurance.

This concept does not qualify for the “enrollment of benefits in a group plan” exemption as there is no employer-employee relationship between the lender and the borrower. 

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (2).

Multi-State Commercial Risks Producer

A license is not required if you are a nonresident who sells, solicits, or negotiates commercial property and casualty insurance for an insured with risks located in more than one state, you are licensed as an insurance producer in the state where the insured maintains its principal place of business, and the contract of insurance covers risks located in that state.

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (6).

Insurance Consultant

Alaska does not issue a consultant license, but you must be licensed if your  consultation leads to the placement of insurance.

General Agent who Receives Override Commissions

A license is not required if you are a general agent who receives a commission override only for business produced by persons you have solicited as producers and you have no involvement in the sale, solicitation, or negotiation of insurance.

If you have direct contact with a client or receive applications or premiums, a license and company appointment are required.

Customer Service Representative

A license is not required if you are employed solely for the performance of accounting, clerical, stenographic, and similar office duties by a person licensed under AS 21.27.

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (1).

Officer, Director, or Employee of an Admitted Insurer

A license is not required if you are an officer, director, or employee of an insurer; you do not receive a commission on policies written or sold; your functions are executive, administrative, managerial, clerical, or a combination of these;  and you are only indirectly related to the transaction of insurance.

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (9) .

Risk Manager

A license is not required if you are a risk manager who only counsels or advises your employer regarding the insurance interests of the employer or their subsidiary or business affiliate, and you do not receive a commission.

See AS 21.27.010 (j)(4).


A license is not required if your activities are limited to advertising through communications in print or electronic media or publications whose distribution is not limited to residents of Alaska.

See AS 21.27.010 (j) (5).