Skip to content
Back to Top

Business Licensing

Business Licensing FAQs

1. When do I need an Alaska Business License? 2. Is a physical presence or physical office a requirement for an Alaska Business License? 3. What else might I need to obtain an Alaska Business License? 4. I need help getting started, where else can I go for help? 5. What is a DBA, AKA or trade business license name? 6. What is an NAICS code and how do I determine mine? 7. What is a Sole Proprietor? 8. How much is the fee for an Alaska Business License? 9. How long does it take to get an Alaska Business License? 10. What can I change on my business license? 11. Which products require an Endorsement in addition to an Alaska Business License? 12. What if my business license has expired? 13. I sold my business, can I transfer my business license? 14. What if I close my business? 15. Are there exemptions from the requirement to have a business license? 16. How can I protect my business name? 17. Is my business license record public information? 18. How do I get a copy of my business license? 19. I have a complaint, what can I do?

This Division does not provide legal advice. The information contained within these webpages is provided for your convenience and is not to be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to know what your registering, reporting and filing requirements are based on your specific business activities. Not knowing what is expected of you may not preclude you from the legal obligation to meet these requirements and compliance with the law. You are encouraged to seek the advice of a professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Attorney if you need additional assistance.

Contact Us

When contacting this office, please direct your questions to the appropriate Section: Corporations, Professional Licensing, or Business Licensing. Each Section specializes in its own requirements per Alaska statutes and regulations.

Professional Licensing Section
Email: License@Alaska.Gov

Corporations Section
Email: Corporations@Alaska.Gov

Business Licensing Section
Email: BusinessLicense@Alaska.Gov