Skip to content
Back to Top

Board of Certified Direct-Entry Midwives

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to qualify for an Apprentice Permit or a Certified Direct Entry Midwife?

Condensed application instructions with the requirements for a permit or a certificate are in the front of each application packet. Please read these thoroughly before contacting board staff. In addition to other requirements, all Alaska midwives must hold Certified Professional Midwife credentials issued by NARM. For additional information, including education and experience requirements, you may review the statutes and regulations online.

I hold a license in another jurisdiction. Will it transfer to Alaska?

You may apply for a midwife license by credentials and have your application reviewed by the board. Staff cannot review your credentials without a full application on file. Please research whether your state of licensure has requirements for licensure that are substantially equal to Alaska’s. If they are not, you may opt to apply for licensure by examination. For additional information, you may review the statutes and regulations online.

Who can be a preceptor?

Preceptors must meet the requirements of 12 AAC 14.210(a) or AS 08.65.090(b), depending on the type of apprenticeship program. Birth experiences under someone who does not meet preceptor requirements may not be counted toward licensure. For additional information, you may review the statutes and regulations online.

Do I need a license?

You must hold an Alaska apprentice permit or Alaska midwife certification to practice midwifery as defined in AS 08.65.190. Persons performing midwifery without an Alaska license are subject to penalties that may impede their ability to obtain an Alaska license. Physicians and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (CNMs) are exempt from this requirement.

What is a Certified Direct-Entry Midwife or Apprentice allowed to do in an Alaska practice?

The scope of practice of a fully certified midwife is outlined in the board’s statutes and regulations. The core practices are common to all midwives, while certain practices require extra education and training and must be authorized in writing by the board. Be sure you have received this authorization before practicing.

How do I submit a Name/Address Change?

It is your responsibility to notify this office of name/address changes and to keep this information on record current.

The name appearing on your license must be your current legal name. If you have changed your name, you must submit the Name/Address Change form #08-4291, as well as a copy of the legal document (marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) supporting your name change.

How do I verify my license to another agency?

Effective November 22, 2022, Alaska is providing primary source license verifications directly through our website. Requests and fees for verifications of licensure are no longer necessary. To obtain primary source verifications, utilize our Professional License Search Tool.

How do I find a form?

Visit the Applications and Forms page.

Can I submit digital or faxed copies to complete my application?

Yes. The board can accept faxed documents. If you apply by mailing in a paper copy, it will be scanned into our system and an account created for you. Please do not email license applications that contain confidential information such as Social Security Numbers or credit card numbers. Emailing a license application is not an official method of applying for licensure, and we cannot ensure that it will be processed timely.

Is my license record public information?

Yes, licensing records are public documents and available to members of the public upon written request and payment of copying fees. Information considered confidential and not releasable to the general public include social security numbers and other information considered confidential by state or federal law. Licensee addresses, phone numbers, and other identifying information is not considered confidential, applicants may wish to use a P.O. Box or office address and phone number, as long as the applicant can receive mail and be reached at that location.

When does my license lapse?

All licenses issued by the Board of Certified Direct Entry Midwives expire on March 31st of odd-numbered years regardless of when issued, except new licenses issued within 90 days of the expiration date will be issued to the next biennium.

Do I have to pay the full renewal fee since I was just issued a permanent license within the past year?

No. Licensees who received a permanent license within one year of the current expiration date will pay only one-half of the renewal fee.

When will I receive my renewal notice?

Renewal notices are provided at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on file, in accordance with AS 08.01.050. Login to the MY LICENSE self-service portal to ensure your contact information is up to date. Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve a licensee from the responsibility of renewing a license on time.

How long does it take to process my application?

Plan 4 to 6 weeks for the initial application process for a Certified Direct Entry Midwife. You can avoid delays by making sure you follow the directions and complete the application correctly. You must submit the correct fees and supporting documentation in the proper format. Source documents must come directly from the providers. For your application to be reviewed by the board, the office must receive a complete application for certification and all supporting documents. Please check your MY LICENSE portal for updates before contacting staff.

How do I observe board meetings?

Board agendas are posted on Board Meeting webpage. You can search for meetings or sign up for alerts here.

How can I tell if a Certified Direct-Entry Midwife is qualified to perform prenatal care, vaginal delivery, and postpartum care for a client with a previous cesarean section?

Per Alaska regulation 12 AAC 14.560(b), a Certified Direct-Entry Midwife must provide evidence of training and education in performing prenatal care, vaginal delivery, and postpartum care for a client with a previous cesarean section before performing such practices.

Once a Certified Direct-Entry Midwife has provided that evidence, a “VBAC per 12 AAC 14.560(b)” designation will be added to their license.

You can check to see if a Midwife has that designation by locating them through our Professional License Search, selecting the linked license number, and within the “License Details”, you will see it under “Designations”.

How does a Certified Direct-Entry Midwife obtain approval to perform prenatal care, vaginal delivery, and postpartum care for a client with a previous cesarean section?

The midwife will need to submit evidence of having completed at least six hours of training and education in performing these practices for a post-cesarean client to the board at and request approval to provide VBAC practices.

Once approved, a “VBAC per 12 AAC 14.560(b)” designation will be added to the license.

Do you have another question?

Please fill out our Customer Contact Form for the fastest response.