Skip to content
Back to Top

Construction Contractors

The Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing staffs the construction contractor program. The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development adopts regulations to carry out laws governing construction contractors in Alaska. It makes final licensing decisions and takes disciplinary actions against people who violate licensing laws.

Hard Copy License Certificates Discontinued

The division has expanded our online services to allow licensees to download their own license certificates on demand. As a result, the division no longer mails hardcopy license certificates. The certificates will be located under the “initial application” and “renewal” events in the MY LICENSE account.

If you need guidance on how to set up or access your MY LICENSE account, you can access the MY LICENSE instructions here.

New Advertising Requirements for Contractors

Per AS 08.18.051(b), all contractor advertising, contracts, correspondence, cards, signs, posters, papers, and documents prepared by the contractor must show the contractor’s name, mailing address, and address of the contractor’s principal place of business; and advertising and contracts must also include the contractor’s registration name. However, effective November 8, 2022, an advertisement that directs potential customers to the contractor’s website or landing page satisfies this requirement, as long as all of the required information is contained on that website.

Expiration Date and Renewal Periods Changing

Expiration dates for all Construction Contractor professional licenses have changed! This will affect when construction contractors of all types and residential contractor endorsement holders will need to renew their professional license(s) for this year and going forward. For more details on what the date changes are, when renewals will occur, what the cost of renewal will be, and more, please click here.

Regulated Professions

General Contractors

General Contractors may perform new home construction, commercial work, and residential remodel work. General contractors that oversee new home construction or perform residential work greater than 25% of the value of a structure being altered must obtain a Residential Contractor license and/or a Residential Contractor Endorsement.

Residential Contractors

Residential Contractors are contractors who have a Residential Contractor Endorsement or have assigned to them an individual(s) who has a residential contractor endorsement. Residential Contractors may undertake construction of a privately owned residential structure of one to four units and residential work greater than 25% the value of the structure being altered.

Residential Contractor Endorsement

This endorsement may be obtained after an individual has completed a 16-hour cold climate course and passed the residential contractors endorsement exam. A holder of a residential contractor endorsement is not permitted to perform work under this license unless they are assigned to a Residential Contractor or hold a Residential Contractor’s license themselves in addition to this endorsement.

Specialty Contractors

Specialty contractors may perform work that requires the use of not more than three trades. If your work falls under more than three trades you will need to apply as a General or Residential Contractor. A list of approved trades may be found HERE.

Electrical Contractors

Electrical contractors are licensed Specialty Contractors who have Electrical Contractor or Communications Contractor listed as one of their trades. In order to qualify as an electrical contractor an Electrical Administrator license must be assigned to the Specialty Contractor as an additional license, or an individual who holds an electrical administrator license must be assigned to the specialty contractor. Please see the Electrical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required.

Mechanical Contractors

Mechanical contractors may perform any of the mechanical disciplines for which their Mechanical Administrator license allows (plumbing, heating, sheet metal, or refrigeration). A mechanical administrator license is required in addition to the Mechanical Contractors license in order to perform work. A Mechanical Contractor may hold the mechanical administrator license themselves as an additional license, or have an individual(s) assigned to their license who holds the Mechanical Administrator license. Please see the Mechanical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required. Please note a mechanical contractor may only perform mechanical work; the installation of mechanical controls requires both an Electrical Administrators license and a Mechanical Administrators license.

Handyman Contractors

Handyman contractors may perform work on projects with an aggregate contract of $10,000 or less for each project. This aggregate total is to include all labor, materials and other items for that project.

New Phone Number

We have a new phone number for contacting us.
If you have questions regarding a General, Specialty, Mechanical or Handyman contractor license, please call (907) 465-2050 or email ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov

If you have questions regarding a Residential contractor license, please call (907) 465-2050 or email ResidentialContractors@Alaska.Gov

Contact Us:

General, Specialty, Mechanical and Handyman Contractors
Email: ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov
Phone: (907) 465-2050

Residential Contractors
Email: ResidentialContractors@Alaska.Gov
Phone: (907) 465-2050

General Inquiries
Email: ConstructionContractors@Alaska.Gov
Phone: (907) 465-2050