Skip to content
Back to Top

Notice of System Maintenance

The Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development website and applications will be offline Sunday, September 19th from 7am to 11am for maintenance.

Board of Barbers and Hairdressers

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What types of licenses are issued by the Alaska Board of Barbers & Hairdressers? 2. How do I get a license? 3. What license do I need to apply false eyelashes? 4. What license do I need to provide microblading/microstroking services? 5. Will my out of state license just transfer to Alaska? 6. Who do I make my check or money order payable to? 7. Do you accept credit cards? 8. Can I pay my fees over the phone with a credit card? 9. Can I email credit card information? 10. Can I renew my license over the phone? 11. How long is my license good for? 12. How do I renew a license that has been lapsed for one, two, three, or more years? 13. Will the Anchorage office issue my license or permit? 14. Can I submit faxed or email copies of my completed application? 15. How to obtain a certified true copy. 16. How do I get Alaska license & examination information sent to another State board? 17. How long does it take to process my application? 18. How can I find out about the status of my application? 19. What is licensure by waiver of examination? 20. I have a license from another country. Would I be able to apply for an Alaska license by waiver of examination? 21. Can I transfer/use hours of training earned out of State or in State to another school or into an apprentice program? 22. How do I apply for the examinations after I have finished my school or apprenticeship program? 23. Where can I find examination information? 24. How do I get my examination scores? 25. Can I apply for a temporary license while I am waiting to take my examination(s)? 26. Can I apply for a temporary permit? 27. How do I qualify for a hairdresser license? 28. How do I qualify for a barber license? 29. How do I qualify for an esthetician license? 30. How do I qualify for a manicurist license? 31. In Alaska, can manicurist training be done in an apprenticeship program? 32. How do I qualify for a manicurist with advanced endorsement license? 33. What services can a manicurist or manicurist with advanced endorsement provide? 34. How do I qualify for an instructor license? 35. How do I qualify for a body piercer license? 36. How do I qualify for a tattooist/permanent cosmetic colorist license? 37. Bloodborne pathogen and CPR course requirements. 38. How do I apply for a shop owner license? 39. How do I know which type of ownership to put on the shop owner application? (Am I a sole proprietor, LLC, Corporation, etc.?) 40. Do I need a shop owner license if I am a chair/booth renter?